We are passionate about clean energy and the environment and helping our clients manage the range of environmental issues, such as climate change, that the world is facing today.
Our Sustainability and Climate Change team includes lawyers from a number of our different areas of practice. As a result, we can assist you, not only to comply with statutory climate change policies and schemes and environmental legislation and manage the related risks, but also to capitalise on clean and renewable energy opportunities.
Lander & Rogers is a member of the Australian Legal Sector Alliance (AusLSA), an industry-led association promoting sustainability in the legal sector.
Our team can advise you on the implications of dealing with Australian and international climate change policy and regulation. We also provide strategic environmental planning advice to achieve better climate change, environmental and sustainability outcomes.
Our expertise includes:
- Clean Energy legislation, including the carbon price mechanism
- Compliance with the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 and Australian Consumer Law, including the ACCC Carbon price claims – guide for business
- National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting Act 2007
- Energy Efficiency Opportunities Act 2006
- The Commonwealth's Renewable Energy Target scheme
- Climate change adaptation, including flood control and coastal protection
- The purchase of voluntary carbon offsets, including under the carbon farming initiative
- BASIX, NABERs and Green Star
- The national building energy efficiency disclosure scheme
- Environmental upgrade agreements.
Biodiversity conservation and threatened species
We advise on all aspects of biodiversity conservation and threatened species issues, including:
Energy and water
- Bodiversity certification
- Securing biodiversity offsets and biodiversity strategy
- Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999.
Our team has a long track-record in the energy and water industries as advisers to governments and regulators, and we offer both a legal and a practical understanding of the energy and water industries, including:
Find out more about how we can assist you in relation to energy and water law
- National Electricity Law and Rules
- National Gas Law and Rules
- The Murray Darling Basin scheme
- Energy and water legislation at the State level.
Our team has extensive experience working within and closely with multiple State government departments and local government, including an environmental regulator. As a result we are uniquely placed to provide you with strategic legal advice in dealing with government and regulators and can assist you in managing your environmental risk.
We can provide advice and assistance with:
- Compliance with environmental legislation
- Managing environmental risk and environmental strategy
- Dealing with environmental regulators
- Training for employees
- Obtaining statutory approvals
- Defending environmental prosecutions.
We also offer a 24/7 hotline for immediate advice on managing environmental incidents and dealing with environmental regulators.
Our team has extensive experience in advising clients on the impact of environmental legislation and schemes in property transactions, including:
- Drafting and advising on green leases
- Advising on the impact of the carbon price scheme on property owners and tenants
- Mandatory energy disclosure legislation in commercial property transactions
- Contaminated land management.
We work with a wide range of participants in the Australian property and construction industry, including property developers, contractors, consultants and financiers in relation to all aspects of climate change and other environmental legislation and schemes.
Our experience includes:
- Preparing green star clauses
- Advising on compliance with green star ratings tools
- Renewable energy projects, including wind farms.
Our team has a wealth of experience in drafting a broad range of agreements, such as:
- Environmental upgrade agreements
- Biobanking agreements and planning agreements
- Carbon offset agreements
- Clauses which pass through the cost of carbon emissions.
Our team provides specialised legal services to large corporate clients, property developers, government, educational institutions, resource companies, retailers, infrastructure providers and financiers.
We can assist you with all aspects of environment and planning law, including in relation to development projects, corporate and property transactions, environmental liability and litigation.
> Read more about how we can assist you in relation to planning and environment