Lander & Rogers and Lansol Nominees Pty Ltd (ACN 005 232 682) (collectively, Lander & Rogers) collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information relating to various individuals in the course of providing our clients with legal advice, marketing our services and running our business. As a legal practice, protecting the confidentiality and privacy of information is fundamental to our professional relationships.
Lander & Rogers is bound by the provisions of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and the Australian Privacy Principles in its collection, security, storage, use and disclosure of personal information. This document describes how we will handle personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act and the Australian Privacy Principles.
Collection of personal information
Kinds of information collected
Lander & Rogers collects and holds personal information in order to provide professional services to our clients and to operate and market our legal practice business.
The personal information we collect and hold includes details such as an individual's name, contact information, occupation, role, gender, qualification or areas of interest in relation to our legal services or events. We may also collect and hold sensitive information, including health information, about individuals. We will only collect and hold sensitive information if the individual has consented, or if it is otherwise in accordance with the Privacy Act. For instance, we may collect and hold sensitive information if it is required by law or necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of a legal or equitable claim.
If you do not provide us with personal information that we request, we may not be able to communicate with you or meet our professional obligations to you.
How information is collected
We may collect your information when, for example, you:
- seek legal advice from us;
- submit an enquiry through our 'Contact us' webpage;
- attend a seminar or other event provided by us;
- make an enquiry about our services;
- subscribe to our publications; and
- apply for employment with, or to provide services to, us.
We will collect personal information directly from you to the extent it is reasonable and practicable to do so. However, in some circumstances, we may also collect an individual's personal information from a third party source. For example, a client of ours may provide to us another individual's personal information in relation to the legal matter with which we are assisting.
Use and disclosure of personal information
Lander & Rogers uses and discloses personal information it collects for the primary purposes of:
- providing legal services to clients, ensuring our service commitment to clients is met, and to advise individuals about related matters; and
- meeting our internal professional and business requirements, including marketing our legal practice business.
Storage and security of personal information
Lander & Rogers takes all reasonable steps to protect the personal information we hold from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Most information is held in hard copy or electronic records, which may only be accessed by partners and employees of Lander & Rogers in the performance of their duties.
All partners and employees are subject to confidentiality obligations as well as being bound by this policy.
Access and correction of personal information
Lander & Rogers will provide you with access to your personal information held by us, unless there is a reason why we are not required to do so under the Privacy Act. Under the Privacy Act, you have a right to request access to, and correction of, your personal information. We will correct any inaccurate or out-of-date information within a reasonable time of notification of error.
Collection notice for potential employees of Lander & Rogers
Lander & Rogers collects your personal information as part of our process of selection for the position for which you have applied.
- Your personal information may be collected from you personally or from any employment agency you or we employ, or any referee whose details you provide.
- We will not collect sensitive information (for instance about your religious beliefs, your professional or trade association memberships or your health information) unless you volunteer the information and consent to its collection.
- If you do not provide all or part of the information we request we may not be able to process your application.
- We do not ordinarily disclose your personal information to third parties, and if for some unlikely reason this does occur, we will do so in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles.
Inquiries and complaints about personal information
You may make a complaint about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles. Lander & Rogers will investigate and endeavour to resolve any complaints.
All inquiries and complaints should be addressed to:
Lander & Rogers
Level 12, 600 Bourke Street
MELBOURNE VIC 3000
Telephone: +61 3 9269 9000
Facsimile: +61 3 9269 9004
If we are unable to resolve your complaint or you are unhappy with the outcome, you can contact the Office of Australian Information Commissioner via its enquiries line 1300 363 992 or website http://www.oaic.gov.au/ to lodge a complaint.
Last updated: March 2014