Contact details+61 2 8020 7999
Alex is a recognised expert in mergers & acquisitions, capital markets and general corporate and governance advice. In particular, he advises leading corporates in relation to corporate finance transactions, business and asset acquisitions and divestments, joint venture arrangements, funds related transactions, restructurings, corporate governance, and general Corporations Act and ASX Listing Rule issues.
Alex has been the lead legal adviser on substantial corporate transactions for many large Australian entities, including Westpac, Coates Hire, Alumina, Wesfarmers, St.George Bank and has acted for many large Chinese State-owned enterprises in recent years on their infrastructure and other major investments in Australia. Alex has acted on the majority of QBE Insurance Group's corporate transactions since 1999, facilitating their growth to a top 20 ASX listed company.
Alex's areas of expertise include:
- Mergers & acquisitions
- Capital markets;
- Corporate governance;
- Financial services regulation; and
Significant transactions on which Alex has advised include:
- Goldwind (the largest wind turbine manufacturer in China) on all aspects of its acquisition of and subsequent construction and development of the Mortons Lane Wind Farm and Gullen Range Wind Farm (asset value $350 million) and on the 75% sell-down of GRWF to Beijing Electric;
- Henderson Group on its re-listing on ASX and LSE following its re-domicile to Jersey, on its acquisition of New Star and Gartmore and the associated capital raising transactions, and on its share consolidation and return of capital transactions;
- Coates Hire Limited on its $2.7 billion public company to private company scheme of arrangement transaction with Carlyle/National Hire, and prior to that on more than 20 asset and share acquisition and divestment transactions since its IPO in 1996;
- Nikko Asset Management on its $90 million acquisition of the Tyndall funds management business and advising Tyndall on its "breach reporting" to ASIC and ongoing reporting to ASIC;
- Wesfarmers Limited on its $2.57 billion accelerated rights entitlement offer of shares;
- Goodman Group's issue of option over its stapled securities to Macquarie Bank and CIC which on exercise raised $190 million;
- GPT Group in connection with its $1.6 billion pro-rata entitlement offer and $250 million issue of exchangeable bonds to GIC;
- Shougang Corporation (the third largest steel maker in China) on its iron ore offtake arrangements, rights issue underwriting and share subscription transactions (total investment $160 million) with Mount Gibson Iron;
- St George Bank on its off-market share buy-back, its issue of converting preference shares tranche 2 to raise $400 million and tranche 1 to raise $325 million and issue of step-up preference securities (SAINTS) to raise $150 million (all tier 1 qualifying);
- Alumina on its A$1.02 billion rights issue and its US$350 million in convertible bonds which were listed on the Singapore Exchange; and
- the independent directors of Cable & Wireless Optus in connection with SingTel's $17.5 billion structured takeover bid.
Alex joined Lander & Rogers in July 2014.
Master of Laws - University of Sydney
BCom/LLB - University of New South Wales