Amelia is head of the firm’s Sport & Leisure group. She leads a strong team that advises a broad range of clients in the sport, leisure and major events industries.
Amelia advises sports organisations on legal, governance, risk management and stakeholder relations. She works closely with board directors, CEOs, management and administrative staff, event operators, government, venue operators, lawyers, sporting clubs, athletes, consultants and volunteers.
She understands the objectives, values and culture in sport and provides practical commercial advice on legal, reputational and business risk so sports businesses can make informed decisions.
Amelia has presented on risk management and corporate governance as part of the World Academy of Sport's Executive Administration and Risk Management Programme in London, Dublin and Dubai.
Amelia is formally recognised for her contributions to the sporting sector in Chambers & Partners Asia-Pacific, Best Lawyers in Australia and Who's Who Legal Australia. She is also a director of the Victorian Institute of Sport and a former director of the Australia and New Zealand Sports Law Association (ANZSLA).
Amelia's experience includes advising:
- on the establishment of a separate entity to operate the Suncorp Super Netball League and Hockey 1 League
- Sport Australia on a legal review of various options for structuring a consolidation of separate national sports organisations to take advantage of synergies and resource pooling
- on an exclusive airline category sponsorship agreement on behalf of Surfing New South Wales, Surfing Australia and other state/territory governing bodies for surfing
- national child safety frameworks for sports in response to the recommendations contained in the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse
- a national sporting organisation in its negotiations with the athletes' association in relation to a new collective bargaining agreement for its national teams
- on an appeal against non-selection to the Australian team by two athletes in respect of World Championships
- on a whole-of-sport IT and Services Agreement for an enhanced online membership and registration system, including competition management, website creation and online payments.