Contact details+61 3 9269 9322
Practice groupInsurance Law & Litigation
Giana's experience includes insurance law and commercial insurance litigation, with a particular focus on financial lines claims and construction and engineering disputes. She has represented a wide range of principals, contractors and consultants and has worked with a wide range of insurers, including major local and international insurers and a number of Llyod's syndicates.
She also has a background in general commercial litigation and corporate insolvency, including advising banks and other financial institutions, listed and unlisted companies and accounting firms regarding various corporate and personal insolvency matters, securities enforcement and debt recoveries and litigation arising from insolvent administrations. Giana's primary areas of expertise include:
- professional indemnity;
- construction and engineering disputes;
- directors' and officers' liability;
- coverage and indemnity advice; and
- class actions/representative proceedings.
Giana's significant experience includes:
- acting for a major engineering firm in connection with a multi-party, multi-million dollar claim arising from the collapse of an earth embankment constructed to divert the flow of the Morwell river through the Yallourn Coal Mine;
- providing coverage and indemnity advice under a corporate liability policy in respect of proceedings issued by a minority shareholder against the insured company alleging various breaches of the Corporations Act 2001 and seeking various interim and permanent injunctions to prevent the company from resolving to pay a one off dividend to the majority shareholders;
- acting for a firm of accountants in relation to a long-running dispute involving the acrimonious division of a family farming operation. The proceeding involved numerous interlocutory applications, including in relation to discovery, privilege, pleading amendments and asset values;
- acting for a consulting engineering firm in a litigated dispute arising from an allegedly defective retention and underpinning design for a multi-purpose commercial and residential development;
- acting in multiple litigated and unlitigated matters for building and construction professionals and contractors in relation to defective building work; and
- acting for the receivers and managers of responsible entities of numerous registered and unregistered managed investment schemes and their related companies (including in-house and external financiers) in relation to the recovery of loan books comprised of loans made to investors in various schemes.
Giana joined Lander & Rogers in August 2015 and was admitted to practice in 2011.
LLB (Hons) / BSc (Immunology and Microbiology) - The University of Melbourne
Insolvency Education Program (IEP) (Modules 1 & 2) - Queensland University of Technology and ARITA
- Member of the Law Society of Victoria
- Member of theVictoria Women Lawyers
- Member of the International Women's Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation