Contact details+61 3 9269 9557
Practice groupWorkplace Relations & Safety
Kate provides representation and advice across all stages of employment matters, from initial employment contracts and policies to negotiations and hearings.
Kate has a particular focus on employment litigation. She has been involved in a range of litigation across the private and public sectors in all jurisdictions, including the High Court of Australia, Federal Court of Australia, Federal Circuit Court, State Courts in Victoria and Western Australia (Supreme Court of Appeal, Supreme, County and Magistrates' Courts) Fair Work Commission, Australian Human Rights Commission, Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission and the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
From her seven-month secondment with Australia Post in 2015, Kate has also obtained in-house legal experience, which included advising on sensitive employment matters, litigation and managing numerous internal and external stakeholders.
Kate's areas of expertise include:
- managing employment litigation, strategy and advice;
- defending and prosecuting breach of contract, unfair dismissal, adverse action, unlawful discrimination, sexual harassment and victimisation claims and negotiating agreed outcomes;
- advising on and conducting complex and sensitive workplace investigations, with a particular focus on sexual harassment;
- assisting clients in managing ill and injured employees by engaging medical practitioners and providing clear advice regarding key risks and strategy;
- advising on separation and termination of employment, redundancy and organisational restructures;
- modern award and enterprise agreement interpretation;
- drafting and advising on employment contracts and policies;
- running equal opportunity and appropriate workplace behaviour training seminars; and
- work health and safety, including incident response.
Kate's recent significant experience includes:
- significant employment litigation in the Victorian Supreme Court of Appeal;
- successfully appealing a politically sensitive matter to the High Court of Australia;
- advising on and drafting communications for a large scale restructure of an organisation, which enabled the client to successfully implement its program with minimised legal risk;
- successfully appealing a jurisdictional decision in the Fair Work Commission to the Full Bench of the Fair Work Commission; and
- assisting with large-scale client projects, by drafting internal communications, vetting media releases and advising on strategy.
Kate joined Lander & Rogers in 2015 and was admitted to practice in 2011.
LLB (Hons)/BA, University of Melbourne
Member of the Law Institute of Victoria