- +61 2 8020 7879
Monique is an accredited specialist in family law. Monique has acted for clients in all areas of family law, including parenting (custody) and property matters, child support, spouse maintenance and financial agreements (including pre-nuptial agreements).
Monique is known for providing clients with pragmatic, commercial advice and robust representation in both negotiating and litigating a resolution to their family and relationship law concerns.
Monique has worked solely in the area of family law since 2007, including as the associate to a judge in the Federal Circuit Court. As a result, she provides clear, strategic advice and representation in matters which require litigation, and, more importantly, to assist clients to avoid litigation wherever possible.
In addition to her work as a solicitor, Monique has taught Family Law at the University of Notre Dame, Australia, since 2014.
Monique’s family law experience includes handling disputes where one or both parties live overseas. She also has significant experience in drafting financial agreements, including drafting mirror agreements to foreign pre-nuptial agreements. Monique also acts for third parties, including corporate entities, in family law matters.
Monique became an accredited specialist in family law in 2015, and additionally has completed a Master of Laws at the University of Sydney, with a focus on family law and areas of law affecting children. Her strong academic and practical expertise are applied to ensure her clients receive efficient, effective advice, particularly in areas where novel issues arise.
Monique has been named as a Rising Star in family law in Doyle's Guide. She is also a member of the Family Law Section of the Law Council of Australia.
Monique's experience includes:
- preparing a pre-nuptial financial agreement in conjunction with the drafting of a mirror pre-nuptial agreement in the US
- obtaining orders for sole occupation of the family home and significant spouse maintenance and child support
- recovering children from interstate
- obtaining ex parte orders preventing an overseas party from removing superannuation from Australia
- obtaining urgent ex parte orders for emergency passports, to facilitate the return of children from overseas
- successfully defending an argument as to jurisdiction (anti-suit injunction) in an international parenting matter
- resolving complex property, spouse maintenance and child support matters with assets in Australia, Europe and Asia
- advising the Catholic Diocese of Newcastle in respect to family law matters affecting Diocese schools.