Contact detailsT: +61 2 8020 7647 M: 61 407 224 775
Practice groupWorkplace Relations & Safety
Tony is a senior member of Lander & Rogers' Workplace Relations and Safety Group and has over 30 years' experience in all areas of workplace relations and safety law. Tony focuses on solving client's issues to assist clients to succeed in their business.
Tony is a longstanding trusted adviser to NSW Government clients, in particular the Transport Cluster. He understands the operating environment of public sector agencies and has worked with agencies on projects to review and amend portfolio legislation, and deliver large scale projects.
Tony delivers strategic advice on significant employment matters from implementing effective remuneration strategies, performance management of senior employees, discrimination claims and advising on major restructuring of organisations to the management of individual employee and industrial disputes.
Tony advises businesses across financial services, construction, manufacturing and technology industries. Tony's work regularly includes:
- negotiating enterprise agreements and awards;
- drafting employment contracts and policies;
- dispute resolution;
- dealing with discrimination complaints;
- managing performance and conduct reviews and terminations and dismissal disputes, as well as managing safety risks; and
- defending workplace health and safety (WH&S) prosecutions and appearing in the NSW and Federal Commissions.
Some of Tony's recent experience includes:
- Advising Sydney Trains and NSW Trains on their enterprise agreement negotiations, and successfully applying to the Fair Work Commission to suspend protected industrial action.
- Acting for Australian Rail Track Corporation and Port Authority of NSW as they navigate to enterprise agreement approval and respond to protected industrial action ensuring that essential services are delivered.
- Successfully defending a marital status discrimination claim, including obtaining a costs order.
- Safety and conduct investigations identifying risk issues, actions to remove the risks and disciplinary action where appropriate.
- Advising Roads and Maritime Services on the dismissal of an employee for serious out of work hours conduct and appearing in the successful defence of an unfair dismissal claim.
- Advising the Rail Industry employers in the review of the Rail Industry Award including appearing at hearings before the Full Bench of the Fair Work Commission.
- Successfully defending two separate unfair dismissal proceedings obtaining costs orders for NSW Trains.
- Advising a major retail bank on the use of independent contractor arrangements to deliver services.
- Advising NSW Government agencies on the implementation of changes flowing from the Government Sector Employment Act.
- Advising on the conduct of workplace investigations to ensure that procedural and substantive issues are fully addressed and balanced decisions that can withstand challenge are made.
- Obtaining search and seizure orders for one of Australia's major employers when confidential information had been improperly accessed and removed.
Tony was admitted to practice in 1982 and joined Lander & Rogers in October 2017.
BA LLB UNSW LLM Sydney University
- Member of Law Society of New South Wales
- Member of Law society employment Law Committee
- Chambers Asia Pacific: Leading Lawyer (Employment) from 2012 to 2016
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Recommended Lawyer (Transport) from 2014 to 2017
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Recommended Lawyer (Employment) 2014,2015 and 2017
- Best Lawyers: Government Practice, Labour and Employment Law from 2013 - 2019
- Doyles' Guide: Leading Lawyer (Employment & Industrial Relations) 2017 - 2018
- Doyles' Guide: Recommended (Employment & Industrial Relations) 2012 - 2017 and 2019
Tony regularly presents at client and external seminars on various aspects of workplace relations law.