Contact details+61 2 8020 7810
Mark has broad experience in insurance law and has for more than 20 years acted for Australian and overseas insurers, reinsurers, intermediaries and corporate clients on a range of insurance and reinsurance matters.
Prior to joining Lander & Rogers, Mark was a partner at a large Australian-based commercial law firm, where he established the firm's front-end insurance practice and was relationship partner for two of the firm's key clients.
Mark is recognised in the 2019 edition of Best Lawyers in Australia for his expertise in Labour and Employment Law.
Mark’s areas of specific expertise include:
Acquisitions, restructuring and transfers of business
- acting in acquisitions of general and life insurance businesses by local and overseas purchasers;
- obtaining insurance authorisations for the establishment of new insurance business in Australia and establishing local subsidiary or branch operations;
- numerous Federal Court approvals for the transfer of insurance business as part of acquisitions or restructuring of business.
- helping clients respond to ASIC, APRA and ACCC regulatory investigations and enforcement action;
- negotiating the terms of voluntary and enforceable undertakings;
- working with clients to investigate and report significant breaches.
Insurance advice for corporate clients
- advising in directors' deeds of indemnity, access and insurance;
- assisting corporate clients to recover under insurance clauses;
- analysing clients' insurance programs to identify and manage gaps in coverage.
Licensing and compliance
- preparing applications for, and variations of, financial services licences;
- advising on the practical impact of laws and regulatory guides on clients' business;
- working with overseas insurers and reinsurers to obtain Australian insurance authorisations and licences.
- working with insurers to create new products including all disclosure documents and marketing campaigns;
- advising on the impact of insurance regulation on new products and distribution methods;
- drafting and negotiating agreements with partners, distributors and representatives.
Property and projects
- negotiating liability, indemnity and insurance clauses in major construction contracts;
- advising on risk allocation clauses and reviewing compliance with insurance requirements.
- acting in arbitrations and in litigation between reinsurers and insurers;
- acting on behalf of insurers in contribution actions and subrogated claims.
- University of Sydney / Bachelor of Laws Graduated 30 April 1994
- University of Sydney / Bachelor of Economics Graduated 28 May 1993
Mark was admitted to the Supreme Court of New South Wales and High Court of Australia in 1994. Mark joined Lander & Rogers in January 2016.
Memberships / Awards
Member of the Law Society of New South Wales.
Publications / Presentations
Author of numerous articles, case notes and papers published in Australian and UK insurance publications including Australian Insurance Law Bulletin and other LexisNexis bulletins.