Collette McFawn 0418

Spousal maintenance and alimony

Many countries recognise the need, in some circumstances, for a former spouse or de facto partner to receive financial support from their ex, assuming that person has the capacity to pay maintenance (or alimony, as it is also known). These include Australia, the UK, Hong Kong and Singapore.

Depending on which jurisdictions apply, you may wish to apply for spousal maintenance in one country and register the relevant court order or agreement in Australia. The Australian Government's Department of Social Services allows registration of these spousal maintenance arrangements in reciprocating jurisdictions, which include Hong Kong, Singapore, UK, Malaysia, Philippines, India and USA.

Like more information?

  • Click here to read more about maintenance orders in Australia, including how a financial agreement (or "post-nup") may be used to protect you from future claims for spouse and de facto maintenance. 

  • Click here to read more about our experience with spousal maintenance for de facto (including same-sex) couples. 

> Return to the Australian expats and international clients page


All services