Lead Partner, International
Contact detailsT: +61 3 9269 9116 M: +61 413 202 222
Practice groupCorporate, Workplace Relations & Safety
Derek leads our firm's international practice, driving our strategy to be the independent Australian firm of choice in our key overseas markets: US, UK, Japan, China, Singapore and Malaysia.
Derek also co-ordinates our five commercial groups to ensure they remain constantly client focussed and working collaboratively as a seamless commercial offering for both Australian and international clients.
Derek continues to practise in all areas of workplace relations and safety law. He operates extensively across both the public and private sectors with experience in all Australian jurisdictions.
Clients who have retained Derek include prominent Australian and international companies and government bodies such as: Reece Australia; Medibank Private; Malaysia Airlines; Ord Minnett; Victoria Police; Parliament of Victoria; Telstra Super; Deutsche Bank; Port of Melbourne Corporation; and the Commonwealth Department of Parliamentary Services.
Derek is regularly sought out by employers when matters are sensitive or where media interest will be high.
Examples of Derek’s recent significant matters in the public and private sector include acting for:
- Malaysia Airlines co-ordinating its investigation into the disappearance of MH370; and
- the Privileges Committee for the Parliament of Victoria in respect of its investigation into Geoff Shaw, the then Member for Frankston.
Derek is recognised in the 2008-2018 editions of Best Lawyers in Australia for his expertise in Labour and Employment Law and Occupational Health and Safety.
He is a director of TerraLex, one of the world's two largest networks of independent law firms representing over 19,000 lawyers globally. TerraLex was rated as an elite network by Chambers Global in 2014.
As a former AFL field umpire, Derek retains his strong interest and involvement in AFL football through his weekly radio program on SEN (1116AM).
Derek was admitted to practice in 1997 and joined Lander & Rogers in 1998.
BSc (Hons) (Neuroanatomy), LLB (University of Queensland)
- Australian Human Resources Institute.
- Australian Labour Law Association.
- Australian Corporate Lawyers Association.
- Workplace Relations section of the Law Institute of Victoria.
- Industrial Relations Society of Victoria.
- Australia and New Zealand Sports Law Association.