Jo leads the Lander & Rogers national Pro Bono and Community Support practice and the implementation of sustainable business practices across the firm. She has also led the firm’s reconciliation activities, including as Chair of the RAP Oversight Committee. Jo is a collaborator and contributor with extensive engagement in communities of practice, standard setting, thought leadership and change in the legal profession.
Jo collaborates with many social, community and legal organisations and services to address access to justice. Her primary focus is to build legal capability in individuals and organisations and to achieve systemic social impact. Jo adopts a client centred approach and is also active in harnessing technology to deliver better outcomes for clients. She also promotes the empowerment of people and communities through workplace engagement initiatives.
Given leadership of the implementation of the firm's environmental strategy and response to climate change in 2019, Jo has led development of the firm's environmental strategy, environmental management system, carbon inventory, emission offset strategy, environmental mitigation initiatives and supporting governance systems. With Jo's leadership the firm has now achieved carbon neutral certification from Climate Active and is an active member of the UN Global Compact and Australian Legal Sector Alliance. Underpinning Jo's leadership of the firm's sustainable business practices is the mindset of collaboration. Rather than a compliance approach to action, Jo has ensured that the firm leads and influences innovative responses to climate change both internally and externally.
Jo is active in delivering the firm’s business strategy and promoting its values. In 2020 and 2021 Jo mentored participants in our firm's TechHub program. She is Chair of the Reconciliation Oversight Committee and leads relationships with First Nations people and organisations across the business. A career highlight was being integral to the law firm endorsement of the Uluru Statement from the Heart. Jo drives organisational transformation and adds value to strategic thinking as a board member and stakeholder.
Prior to becoming the firm's dedicated pro bono partner, Jo practised insurance law and has expertise in managing large and complex litigation. She also has considerable experience in class action proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia.
- Board member, Australian Legal Sector Alliance (2022- current)
- Inner Melbourne Community Legal Committee of Management (2016-2022)
- Chair, Justice Connect Program Review Committee (2016-2017)
- Member, Justice Connect/CoHealth Advisory Group for Seniors Law (2015 - 2018)
- Member, Health Justice Partnership Advisory Committee Meeting InTouch Legal Centre (2014-2018)
- Chair, Justice Connect Victorian Representative Committee (2013-2015)
- Board member, Public Interest Law Clearing House Victoria (2009-2013)
- Board member, Australian Women Lawyers (2004)
- Convenor, Victorian Women Lawyers (2003)
- Executive Committee member, Victorian Women Lawyers (2000-2004)
- Committee member, Human Rights and Administrative Law Section Law Institute Victoria (1998-2002)
- Mentor, VWL/WBA Mentoring Program (since 2015)
- Lawyers Weekly Pro Bono Partner of the year 2022
- Fellow, Vincent Fairfax Foundation Ethical Leadership Cranlana Centre for Ethical Leadership 2019
- Finalist, Law Institute Victoria Access to Justice and Pro Bono Award 2015
- Finalist, Financial Times Innovative Lawyers Awards for the Asia-Pacific region 2017 (Lander & Rogers and Refugee Legal Corporate Clinic Program)
- Finalist, Lawyers Weekly Pro Bono Partner of the year 2018
- Finalist, Financial Times Innovative Lawyers Awards for the Asia-Pacific region 2019 (Lander & Rogers JRLink)