John is the Practice Group Leader of our national Real Estate and Projects Group. John works primarily for REITs, national retailers, private companies and offshore investors within the commercial office, industrial and retail sectors.
John advises clients across Australia and regionally at both the strategic and transactional level. He leads the international real estate team which advises offshore REITS, family offices and private companies on their Australian investments.
His clients value his strategic advice and his ability to bring cross-disciplinary teams together to deliver on complex cross-border transactions.
John is recognised in Chambers Guide; in Best Lawyers as one of Australia's top property lawyers; and is named a leading Melbourne property lawyer in Doyle's Guide.
John's experience includes acting for:
- the offshore purchasers of the Southgate Complex in Melbourne for $588M
- Heitman on the implementation of its Australian investment strategy. This involved the acquisition of interests in Waverley Gardens Shopping Centre in Melbourne and 288 Edward Street; K1; and The Barracks in Brisbane – including, co-ownership agreements, structuring and debt
- Wesfarmers and Kmart Australia on the sale of the tyre and auto business to Continental AG. This included more than 240 sites and required vendor due diligence, change of control negotiations and prospective buyer briefings
- the Australian joint venture partner in negotiating the agreements for a large joint venture with an offshore REIT. This included unit holders, investment management, property and development management agreements
- Kmart Australia, nationally and exclusively, across its Australian portfolio
- a Singaporean REIT in its acquisition of an industrial property portfolio from Blackstone via the acquisition of various asset holding sub-trusts
- Straits Real Estate in its industrial joint venture with Commercial & General. This included due diligence, the acquisition of units in various existing trusts as well as agreements governing future co-investment
- Wesfarmers on real estate matters related to its acquisition of the Coles Group.