Calum is an experienced employment, industrial relations, and safety practitioner. He specialises in the conduct and procedure of matters before the Fair Work Commission and the federal courts, as well as the identification, quantification, and resolution of complex payroll compliance issues.
Calum is a trusted advisor to many of Australia's largest and most recognisable businesses. He regularly acts on behalf of clients in the Fair Work Commission and utilises his significant experience as a former Associate of the Commission to consistently achieve strong outcomes for clients.
Calum's areas of expertise include:
- unfair dismissal and general protections claims
- discrimination, bullying and harassment
- payroll compliance
- performance management
- workplace investigations
- redundancies and restructuring
- enterprise bargaining disputes
Calum has advised clients across a wide range of industries, including government, retail, fast food, airline, post-secondary education, clerical, hospitality, manufacturing, allied health, information technology, and mining. He has assisted a substantial number of businesses in achieving and maintaining compliance with Australian workplace laws.
Prior to joining Lander & Rogers, Calum was a senior advisor within one of Australia's oldest and most influential industry associations. He was previously the Associate to Commissioner Spencer at the Fair Work Commission.
Calum holds the position of Legal Profession Representative on the management committee of the Industrial Relations Society of Queensland, the peak body for industrial relations practitioners in the state. He volunteers his time with the Brisbane North Community Legal Service.
Calum's career highlights include:
- advising a major multinational hotel operator on the identification, quantification, and resolution of a complex payroll compliance issue
- acting on behalf of a leading Australian furniture retailer before the Fair Work Commission in defending various unfair dismissal applications made during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic
- carrying out a sensitive workplace investigation across multiple days on a mine site in regional Queensland involving allegations made against a member of the human resources team
- advising a Queensland Government-owned corporation on its executive employment arrangements
- providing pro bono advice to Orange Sky Laundry on its response to COVID-19 public health orders
- drafting ESOP arrangements for a new technology startup
- instructing counsel in a matter before the Full Bench of the Fair Work Commission concerning the enforceability of a fixed-term contract for a casual employee
- advocating on behalf of industry in various government inquiries including in relation to the Fair Work Amendment (Supporting Australia's Jobs and Economic Recovery) Bill 2020