Julie is the co-head of our national Insurance Litigation group. She is an expert in Financial Lines insurance claims. She advises local, multi-national and London-market insurers in D&O matters, a broad range of professional indemnity and management liability claims, as well as financial institutions claims. Julie has also been involved in many significant and complex class actions. She is known for being commercial, responsive and approachable.
Julie has practised exclusively in commercial and financial services litigation and insurance for around 20 years. Earlier in her career, Julie was a lawyer at the Australian Securities and Investments Commission. In the 2014-2020 editions of Best Lawyers (Australia), Julie is recognised for her expertise in insurance law and she is ranked Band 3 in Chambers Asia Pacific 2019. Julie is also recognised in Doyle's Guide as a Leading Professional Indemnity lawyer.
Julie's experience includes advising or acting for:
- insurers in the Dick Smith Limited shareholder class actions and receivers' claims against directors, as well as the associated claims against insurers
- insurers in the Bank of Queensland deposit holders' class action and acting in the associated coverage litigation
- an excess insurer in the Myer shareholder class action
- insurers in the Gunns Limited shareholder class action, insider trading claim, liquidators' claims against directors, and an auditor and investor class action
- the insurers in a shareholder class action and ASIC investigation against Newcrest Mining, and associated coverage litigation against insurers
- insurers in the AUSTRAC proceeding and shareholder class action against CBA Limited
- insurers in the Kagara Limited shareholder class action, ASIC investigation and insolvent trading claims against directors
- primary and excess insurers in numerous other shareholder class actions and major D&O claims
- insurers in numerous matters arising out of the Banking Royal Commission.