Thomas is a disputes-based insurance lawyer with a focus on the building and construction industry. He provides advice to his clients from the initial receipt of a claim, including policy interpretation advice, through to the settlement of a claim or final judgment. Prior to joining the insurance team at Lander and Rogers, Thomas worked for the litigation team of a national law firm where he conducted regulatory investigations and acted for some of the nation's largest financial institutions.
Thomas assists parties such as builders, certifiers, architects, engineers, and other contractors in defending both litigated and non-litigated claims. Operating within the construction industry, he is familiar with a broad range of common building defects and claims and uses this experience to provide timely and accurate advice. He is experienced with policy interpretation and regularly provides advice to insurers with respect to policy provisions, the operation of exclusions, and dual insurance issues.
Thomas also operates within a growing recoveries practice, where he assists insurers in making a commercial assessment of the prospects of a recovery following a successful claim and takes conduct of a recovery action if it is deemed viable. He provides advice to insurers on liability, quantum and apportionment of such claims.
Thomas' career highlights include:
- advising and acting on behalf of a wind farm in relation to litigated claims of nuisance from adjoining land owners
- representing the builder of an apartment complex in relation to a fire that spread throughout the building, including complex considerations of the apportionment of liability between eight defendant parties. The proceeding settled after a two-day mediation
- advising and acting on behalf of the certifier of a community river access hub in litigated proceedings concerning the design of the project
- advising and acting on behalf of a marina and luxury yacht dealership in relation to allegations of misleading and deceptive conduct associated with the sale of a 75-foot motor boat
- advising ASIC in relation to the potential prosecution of an entity following the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry
- acting on behalf of the designer of a major public infrastructure project in New South Wales in relation to over 30 sub-claims advanced by the project principal
- defending the principal contractor of a multimillion-dollar shopping centre refurbishment into litigated allegations of nuisance and property damage
- representing the certifier of a townhouse complex in litigated proceedings concerning allegations of latent defects causing pure economic loss
- advising and acting on behalf of the lead insurer in relation to a litigated recovery claim following the contamination of multiple dental studios with asbestos.