Jane practises mainly in the areas of personal injury litigation (including sexual assault and bullying) and public liability. She has more than 14 years' experience working extensively for both public and private sector clients and is highly experienced in providing timely and decisive advice on a broad range of public liability and duty of care issues.
Prior to joining the Lander & Rogers team, Jane was the principal lawyer and manager of the negligence litigation unit within the Victorian Department of Education and Training's legal division. This involved the defence of a wide range of personal injury and property damage claims as well as the provision of expert advice on a broad range of risk mitigation and duty of care issues. Before this, Jane worked as a senior associate in the insurance and corporate risk division of another leading Australian law firm.
Jane's practice at Lander & Rogers involves advising insurers on both litigated and non-litigated claims. It includes the provision of complex advice ranging from coverage/indemnity to liability, quantum, claims management strategy and the strategic conduct of litigation. Jane is particularly experienced in appearing at mediations and negotiating favourable resolutions for her clients whilst minimising unnecessary defence costs.
Jane's areas of expertise include:
- acting for insurers and insureds in litigation involving personal injury (including sexual assault, bullying and psychiatric injury)
- providing timely and decisive legal and policy advice on a broad range of public liability issues
- advising clients in relation to product liability claims.
- acting for primary and secondary schools in personal injury claims brought by students, parents or members of the public for injuries sustained during school activities or on school grounds
- defending a large class action involving the salmonella contamination of a popular sandwich spread
- assisting with drafting Victorian government common guiding principles for responding to civil claims involving allegations of child sexual abuse
- providing legal advice and claims management services to a large corporate client in relation to a class action involving defective breast implants
- defending a government department and several of its employees in connection with a catastrophic swimming accident involving a multimillion dollar personal injury claim.