Nicola is a skilled commercial litigator with a keen commercial acumen developed over more than 10 years in practice. Nicola has in-depth experience in commercial disputes and regulatory investigations across all relevant jurisdictions including all Victorian Courts, the Federal Court and High Court of Australia. Nicola has a focus on building trust and rapport with her clients and is driven to achieve practical outcomes for clients in the context of their commercial needs.
Nicola is a highly experienced and dynamic litigator with substantial trial experience across multiple jurisdictions. She is known for her accessible manner and ability to quickly identify and address critical legal issues whilst understanding and effectively navigating the commercial context in which legal disputes arise.
Nicola acts for a range of clients, from individuals to large corporations, in a variety of industries and has had the conduct of several large-scale commercial litigations.
Nicola's areas of expertise include:
- regulatory investigations, litigations and prosecutions (including ASIC investigations)
- complex contractual disputes
- shareholder and partnership disputes (including shareholder oppression claims)
- large scale commercial litigation (including corporate governance disputes)
- trade practices litigation, including consumer protection and misleading and deception conduct disputes
- insolvency disputes and litigation
Nicola's career highlights include:
- being identified as a Rising Star in the Australia wide 2019 Doyles Guide for Commercial Litigation, Dispute Resolution and Insolvency
- assisting and advising in an intensive critical analysis of documents for a large regulatory body in anticipation of criminal charges being filed
- conducting a large insolvent trading claim made against seven directors by a group of individual investors (run out of the Perth registry of the Federal Court)
- successfully acting for a large corporation in a trademark dispute that ran to the High Court of Australia
- acting as part of the legal team representing one of the five unions involved in the Royal Commission into Trade Union Governance and Corruption hearings
- being actively involved in the successful outcome of two multi-million dollar claims for monies owed to a global financial services group under a series of margin-loan agreements